“Don’t fall prey to diets that eliminate whole food groups, especially grains and carbs. Whole grains like sorghum can provide beneficial nutrients to the diet and allow some great fun and variety, too.” – Lauren Harris-Pincus
Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
Sorghum was recently named the “It Grain” by the James Beard Foundation. It’s a naturally gluten-free whole grain, it’s high in fiber and antioxidant rich, and it’s good for digestive health and blood pressure. On this episode we hear from a dietitian and recipe developer who shares tangible tips to use sorghum in your diet to boost your nutrition, and a representative from the United Sorghum Checkoff Program (USCP) about the history, farming and sustainability of sorghum, as well as tips for using sorghum syrup as a marinade blend when you’re grilling!
Lauren Harris-Pincus, MS, RDN, is a nutrition communications specialist, speaker, spokesperson, and dietitian in private practice where she specializes in weight management and prediabetes. She is the owner and blogger behind nutritionstarringyou.com and author of the newly released book: The Protein-Packed Breakfast Club, which features easy, high protein breakfast recipes with 300 calories or less to help you lose weight and boost metabolism. She is a consultant for the USCP.
Doug Bice is the Market Development Director for the USCP and has a background in the Battery Industry, Metals Recycling, and Biofuels.
This podcast was not sponsored by USCP.
Here are the resources we mentioned on the show:
- Sorghum websites: www.sorghumcheckoff.com and www.simplysorghum.com
- Sorghum webinar (FREE and CEUs from AND)
- 10 Reasons to Try Sorghum
- “Call To Action” form to get more sorghum on grocery store shelves
- Lauren’s NEW Protein-Packed Breakfast Club book and website
- Lauren on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube
- Sorghum on Facebook, twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
- Lauren’s previous Sound Bites podcast episodes: Protein Powered Breakfasts, What It Really Takes to Lose Weight & Keep It Off
- Other Sound Bites Protein-related episodes: Protein & Exercise: Partners in Successful Aging, 9 Reasons I’m Doing the 30-Day Protein Challenge, 3 Protein Challenge episodes with Protein Partner and Food Blogger Heather Shugarman
- The Gluten-Free Guru – Shelley Case Sound Bites Podcast Episode and Shelley’s NEW book!
- Lauren’s recipe for Chocolate Covered Strawberry Overnight Oats
- Melissa’s Do M.O.R.E. with Dinner blog posts and podcast episodes
Produced by Team Podcast
Music by Dave Birk