9 Reasons I’m Doing The 30 Day Protein Challenge And Why You Should Join Me
May 26, 2016
One small change in your diet can make a big difference in the way you feel. I’m doing the 30 Day Protein Challenge in June and I’d like you to join me! June is a good time for me because work and travel slow down a bit so I can spend a little more time planning and preparing my food choices – but you can start any time that works for you!
These are my “Top 9” reasons for doing the challenge. Perhaps some of them will resonate with you, too?
I want to lose a few pounds. By increasing my intake of protein and other nutrient-rich foods, and decreasing my intake of empty calories, I’m hoping to tip the scales in my favor. And I know that spreading my protein throughout the day will help control my hunger!
- Let’s face it – none of us are getting any younger, and I want to fight the aging process with everything I’ve got. That means maintaining and/or building muscle mass through exercise and a diet with adequate amounts of high quality protein. Not sure how much protein you need? Check out the protein calculator to determine your estimated needs: Protein Calculator
Breakfast is not my healthiest meal of the day and typically not a protein-rich meal. Too often I end up grabbing whatever is quick and easy. I’d like to build a better breakfast. I need lots of help, so I’m enlisting friend and RD Lauren Harris-Pincus to be my breakfast buddy because she is a master at creating breakfast recipes that are higher in protein but also calorie-conscious.
- Trying to get as much work done as I can, I end up snacking at my desk instead of sitting down and enjoying a real lunch. This needs to change! Not only for the nutrition benefits, but for the mental health ones, too. These are some great recipes to get me started.
- By focusing on more balanced meals at dinner instead of throwing something together, I’ll be doing MORE with my dinner as part of my #domorewithdinner initiative
- Although the 30 Day Protein Challenge is hosted by the Beef Council, a variety of proteins are included, so there is truly something for everyone!
- I want a better overall diet. One of the most surprising learnings from my first Protein Challenge was that when I increased my protein intake I ended up with a better overall diet because I decreased empty calorie foods so I wouldn’t gain weight!
- Ever since college, weight lifting has been an effective way for me to manage my weight. Focusing on getting the right amount of protein at the right times will support my weight lifting efforts and bring more results.
- By sharing my protein challenge journey on social media, I’m hoping to gain some real-life accountability and support – especially with my weight loss goals. I’ll be posting on social media in addition to some blog posts and podcast episodes and I would love to get your comments and support, and also hear how things are going with your protein challenge experience. Please check out my posts, tag me in your posts and use #proteinchallenge.
So there you have it! I hope I’ve given you a few reasons to consider joining me on the protein challenge. There are so many different reasons and benefits, and lots more information online so please check out the website and all the awesome resources (including cheat sheets, food journal, hunger scale, recipes, tips for adding protein)…and then sign up to get daily or weekly emails with goals, tips and inspiration to keep you on track!
Disclosure: I’m a member of the Beef Expert Bureau and a paid consultant to the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association
WELCOME TO MY BLOG
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m the Guilt-Free RD® – “Because food shouldn’t make you feel bad!™”;. So, on my Food for Thought blog I’m exploring the secret ingredients needed to enjoy your food with health in mind. I’m also a “Dietitian Enthusiast” so I’m showcasing interviews with dietitians. My “How To” Series shares practical advice to help boost communication skills and gain more visibility, influence and success.
I hope you enjoy the show!
Melissa’s Media Reel
Search This Website
Copy and paste the following code in the sidebar area of your site:
Have questions about food?
Ask The Experts!