Podcast Episode 088: Fertility Foods – Liz Shaw & Sara Haas
Apr 10, 2018
“Nutrition can play an important role throughout the entire process of expanding your family, from pre-conception to postpartum. Learning how to prepare simple recipes and stock your kitchen with ‘fertility-fueling foods’ can create less stress and more control in a situation that is so often out of your control!” – Liz Shaw & Sara Haas
April is Fertility Awareness Month, so on today’s episode of Sound Bites, I’m welcoming not one, but two dietitians to talk about something that affects many couples around the world: infertility. Liz Shaw and Sara Haas are co-authors of the Fertility Foods cookbook, which provides sound, research-backed advice, along with over 100 recipes to help put those foods on your table.
Elizabeth Shaw, MS, RDN, CLT is an author, freelance writer and nutrition communications consultant, working as spokesperson and recipe developer for different brands and commissions. She runs an online women’s health support community and specializes in fertility and prenatal care in her private practice, working directly with clients and healthcare practitioners in San Diego.
Sara Haas, RDN, LDN, is a food and nutrition expert with formal training in the culinary arts. She’s been a registered and licensed dietitian since 2002 and a professional chef since 2008. Working as a freelance writer, recipe developer, media authority and consultant dietitian/chef, Sara’s clients have included The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Eating Well Magazine, Shape Magazine, among many others.
Although there’s no magic bullet to overcome infertility, evidence shows that good nutrition can support fertility and healthy pregnancies in every stage. Join Sara, Liz and me as we discuss how learning more about nutrition can empower you on the sometimes difficult and stressful journey of infertility. And make sure to stick around to the end to hear Liz’s really exciting news!
Liz & Sara are giving away a copy of their book! Simply follow Liz, Sara, and Melissa on Twitter and Instagram, write a comment below about the show and submit a review of the show in iTunes by 4/24/18. Winners will be randomly selected (US only please).
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Liz and Sara’s personal stories and what inspired their work in fertility nutrition.
- How learning about nutrition – something you can control – can help you through the stress of infertility.
- The role food plays in fertility.
- The foods and nutrients many women are lacking.
- Why it’s important not to view foods as problematic, but to use healthier techniques to prepare those “guilty pleasures.”
- Why Fertility Foods is great for anyone… even if you’re not trying to get pregnant.
- How Sara and Liz “Do M.O.R.E. with Dinner.”
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Fertility Foods: 100+ Recipes to Nourish Your Body While Trying to Conceive by Elizabeth Shaw and Sara Haas
- Fertility Foods on Amazon
- Download a sneak-peek into Fertility Foods with recipes today!
- Sara’s Website
- Sara on social: Twitter – Instagram – Pinterest – Facebook
- Liz’s Website
- Liz on social: Twitter – Instagram – Pinterest – Facebook – LinkedIn – Yummly
- Bumps To Baby: Instagram– Facebook
- The Role of Nutrition in Infertility: Evaluating the Research – webinar by Liz Shaw and Today’s Dietitian on April 24th
Sound Bites is collaborating with Today’s Dietitian! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
The Today’s Dietitian 2018 Spring Symposium is in Austin, TX on May 20-23. Register now! I’d love to see you there!
Music by Dave Birk
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Google Play, Spotify or RSS.
- Leave me a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
WELCOME TO MY BLOG
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m the Guilt-Free RD® – “Because food shouldn’t make you feel bad!™”. So, on my Food for Thought blog I’m exploring the secret ingredients needed to enjoy your food with health in mind. I’m also a “Dietitian Enthusiast” so I’m showcasing interviews with dietitians. My “How To” Series shares practical advice to help boost communication skills and gain more visibility, influence and success.
I hope you enjoy the show!
Sign up for my monthly newsletter and episode eblasts so you never miss an update!
Melissa’s Media Reel
Search This Website
Copy and paste the following code in the sidebar area of your site:
Have questions about food?
Ask The Experts!