Podcast Episode 005: Protein Challenge – Interview #1 with Protein Partner Heather Shugarman – Getting Started & Breakfast
Apr 23, 2015
Today’s guest is my Protein Partner, Heather Shugarman!
Heather Shugarman is the blogger behind ThenHeatherSaid.com, where she shares a genuine look into her journey to ‘make one healthy decision, then make another’ – along the way she has lost over 60 pounds while discovering a love for mid-distance running and urging others to make their own healthy decisions, one at a time.
Heather is also the director of HealthyLivingBlogs.com, a community driven website of over 2,500 members who are bloggers themselves, tackling a wide range of topics under the healthy living umbrella. HLB celebrates the fact that a healthy life can mean different things to different people and believes in the power of collaboration between bloggers and fellow internet-aholics.
Heather and I are both are on the Beef Expert Bureau (as paid consultants) and are excited about participating in and promoting the 30 Day Protein Challenge. This podcast is not directly sponsored, but our protein partner activities fall under our Beef Expert Bureau roles.
When we first met in person, we did some brainstorming about fun ways for us to engage in this challenge and share it with our audiences and that’s when we came up with the idea to be “protein partners”. I was training for my first triathlon and Heather was training for a half marathon. We connected immediately and our personalities clicked! Hint: we are both uber-positive people and like to support others and champion good causes.
In this podcast episode we share what we’ve learned so far on the protein challenge and also address some breakfast challenges and solutions.
Here are the resources we share in this episode:
- Heather shares some breakfast recipes and her own recipe.
- The website and app Heather is using to track: http://sparkpeople.com. The website and app I’m using to track: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/. The downloadable journal from the Beef Council.
- Mindfulness info:
- This post from Carla https://elevenbyvenuswilliams.com/blog/mindful-eating
- This podcast episode from Sound Bites Mindless Eating: Willpower vs. Environment – Interview with Brian Wansink
- This podcast from #wycwyc Replace don’t Break and a Challenge!
- QuestBar How-To: On a Quest for Protein Bars
From Heather: “Quest even suggests heating the bars for 15 seconds in the microwave for a cookie-like texture. Several of my insta-friends recommended I bake the cookie dough flavor in the oven. So, I used our lil toaster oven and baked at 350* for about 5-7 minutes.”
- This blog post by Neily on Nutrition 7 High Protein Breakfasts to Curb Hunger
- Meal Ideas from the Beef Council (note: not just beef recipes)Protein Powered Meals to Get Your 30 Grams
- Breakfast Recipe Collection from the Beef Council Protein-Powered Breakfasts
- Core Power beverage Melissa puts in her decaf coffee (note: this is a client of Melissa’s but did not sponsor this post or podcast)
- You can sign up for the 30 Day Protein Challenge any time and join us on this journey! Sign up HERE!
Until next time – follow our posts on social media by following #proteinchallenge and #proteinpartners.