Podcast Episode 072: Food Cults – Robyn Flipse
Aug 22, 2017
“I’m passionate about empowering people to make the best food choices they can in their everyday lives, without fear, guilt, or doubt. Eating isn’t a contest we’re all in to see who does it the best. It’s a personal journey where you get to show up for practice every single day, ready or not”.– Robyn Flipse
Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
Robyn has been a registered dietitian nutritionist for over 40 years and has worked in a variety of settings, including heading the nutritional care department in a hospital, running a busy private practice, teaching nutrition courses at several colleges and developing specifications for dietetic foods for a specialty food company. For the past 15 years she has operated her own Nutrition Communications business where she draws on her credentials as a cultural anthropologist to interpret changing eating patterns and food trends for food companies and how they may impact dietary policy.
Here are the resources we mentioned on the show:
- Robyn’s blog and website
- Robyn on twitter
- Article by Hilda Bruch – The Allure of Food Cults and Nutrition Quackery
- Robyn’s bibliography
- Sound Bites podcast episode with Brian Wansink: Mindless Eating – Willpower vs. Environment
- Sound Bites podcast episode with Jill Castle: Family Mealtime Matters
- Sound Bites podcast with June Jo Lee: Food Ethnography
- Sound Bites podcast with Rachel Laudan: Food Historian
- Book: Denialism by Michael Specter
- Book: Thinking Fast & Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Melissa’s Do M.O.R.E. with Dinner blog posts and podcast episodes
- “What to EAT” notepad that Melissa uses every week
Produced by Team Podcast
Music by Dave Birk
WELCOME TO MY BLOG
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m the Guilt-Free RD® – “Because food shouldn’t make you feel bad!™”. So, on my Food for Thought blog I’m exploring the secret ingredients needed to enjoy your food with health in mind. I’m also a “Dietitian Enthusiast” so I’m showcasing interviews with dietitians. My “How To” Series shares practical advice to help boost communication skills and gain more visibility, influence and success.
I hope you enjoy the show!
Sign up for my monthly newsletter and episode eblasts so you never miss an update!
Melissa’s Media Reel
Search This Website
Copy and paste the following code in the sidebar area of your site:
Have questions about food?
Ask The Experts!