“We are pretty good at losing weight, but not so great at keeping it off. Weight loss maintenance requires sustained behavior change – but how do we achieve that? Transformative weight management is the key to sustainable behavior change and it’s the biggest game changer I’ve seen in 35 years of working in this field. When you align the life you want to live with your life purpose and values, you have a very powerful internal motivation – not to stay on a diet, but to keep living a healthier lifestyle – Dr. Jim Hill”
Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
Disclosure: Melissa is a member of the NCBA Beef Expert Bureau and Dr. Hill was provided an honorarium for the WISE Choices webinar.
Dr. James O. Hill is a Professor of Pediatrics & Medicine, and Director of the Colorado Nutrition Obesity Research Center. Dr. Hill’s research examines factors that contribute to obesity and factors that are important in reducing obesity. He is a co-founder of the National Weight Control Registry and co-author of the book State of Slim: Fix Your Metabolism and Drop 20 Pounds in 8 Weeks on the Colorado Diet. Dr. Hill shares his insight and learnings from his work, along with the newly published research study: The Beef WISE Study: Beef’s Role in Weight Improvement, Satisfaction, and Energy. This research was conducted at the University of Colorado and adds to the growing body of evidence demonstrating lean beef can contribute to a healthy weight loss diet. Funding for this research was provided by a grant from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, the National Center for Research Resources and the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Colorado Nutrition Obesity Research Center, and the Beef Checkoff.
Here are the resources we mentioned on the show:
- WISE Choices webinar with Dr. Holly Wyatt (free webinar – 1 CEU for Dietitians and other HCPs)
- BeefWISE Study information and What to Eat 3-Phase Tip Sheet
- State of Slim book and facebook page
- Protein – Essential for Life article with resources
- All about lean beef
- Sound Bites Podcast episode #24 with James Hill: Transformational Weight Loss
- Melissa’s Do M.O.R.E. with Dinner blog posts and podcast episodes
- “What to EAT” notepad that Melissa uses every week
- Melissa’s 3-part triathlon blog post
- Dr. Hill’s email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Produced by Team Podcast
Music by Dave Birk