Podcast Episode 083: Body Kindness – Rebecca Scritchfield
Jan 23, 2018
“Happiness is a health issue. This is the founding principle of my first book which aims to teach women how to work with their bodies, treat themselves with empathy, and embrace this truth: You cannot be on a diet and be kind to yourself at the same time.” – Rebecca Scritchfield
Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
Rebecca Scritchfield is a registered dietitian, certified exercise physiologist, author of the book Body Kindness: Transform Your Health From the Inside Out—and Never Say Diet Again, and host of the Body Kindness podcast. She runs a non-diet private practice focused on well-being enhancement in Washington, DC. After coming to terms with her own body image issues and chronic dieting, she realized that a ‘weight loss focused’ approach was not helpful to her clients. This inspired her to embark on a multi-year journey of studying positive psychology, motivational interviewing, and the research around weight-inclusive approaches to improving health.
Here are the resources we mentioned on the show:
- Rebecca’s Body Kindness website, book and podcast
- Rebecca’s Spiral Up Club and Free mini-course
- Rebecca on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest
- Articles Rebecca shared on the podcast:
- Why You Can’t Lose Weight on a Diet – New York Times
- Weight Discrimination and Risk of Mortality – Psychological Science
- The Weight-Inclusive versus Weight-Normative Approach to Health – Journal of Obesity
- Persistent metabolic adaptation 6 years after “The Biggest Loser” competition – Obesity Society
- Melissa’s Do M.O.R.E. with Dinner blog posts and podcast episode
- “What to EAT” notepad that Melissa uses every week
As part of the collaboration between Sound Bites and Today’s Dietitian, I encourage you to check out the upcoming events and resources TD is offering including the Spring Symposium, webinars and RD Lounge Blog!
Disclosure: Melissa received a complimentary copy of Body Kindness for review.
Produced by Team Podcast
Music by Dave Birk
Welcome to my podcast where we delve into the science, psychology and strategies behind good food and nutrition.
Listen to the trailer
Sign up for my monthly newsletter and episode eblasts so you never miss an update!