Podcast Episode 083: Body Kindness – Rebecca Scritchfield
Jan 23, 2018
“Happiness is a health issue. This is the founding principle of my first book which aims to teach women how to work with their bodies, treat themselves with empathy, and embrace this truth: You cannot be on a diet and be kind to yourself at the same time.” – Rebecca Scritchfield
Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
Rebecca Scritchfield is a registered dietitian, certified exercise physiologist, author of the book Body Kindness: Transform Your Health From the Inside Out—and Never Say Diet Again, and host of the Body Kindness podcast. She runs a non-diet private practice focused on well-being enhancement in Washington, DC. After coming to terms with her own body image issues and chronic dieting, she realized that a ‘weight loss focused’ approach was not helpful to her clients. This inspired her to embark on a multi-year journey of studying positive psychology, motivational interviewing, and the research around weight-inclusive approaches to improving health.
Here are the resources we mentioned on the show:
- Rebecca’s Body Kindness website, book and podcast
- Rebecca’s Spiral Up Club and Free mini-course
- Rebecca on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest
- Articles Rebecca shared on the podcast:
- Why You Can’t Lose Weight on a Diet – New York Times
- Weight Discrimination and Risk of Mortality – Psychological Science
- The Weight-Inclusive versus Weight-Normative Approach to Health – Journal of Obesity
- Persistent metabolic adaptation 6 years after “The Biggest Loser” competition – Obesity Society
- Melissa’s Do M.O.R.E. with Dinner blog posts and podcast episode
- “What to EAT” notepad that Melissa uses every week
As part of the collaboration between Sound Bites and Today’s Dietitian, I encourage you to check out the upcoming events and resources TD is offering including the Spring Symposium, webinars and RD Lounge Blog!
Disclosure: Melissa received a complimentary copy of Body Kindness for review.
Produced by Team Podcast
Music by Dave Birk