Podcast Episode 086: In the Kitchen with Vicki Shanta Retelny
Mar 6, 2018
“My dream as both a mother and a registered dietitian nutritionist is for families to start small by cooking together one day a week and then adding another day. Pretty soon you’ll be planning your weekly menu together! I especially want kids to dabble in the kitchen to experiment with new foods and learn basic cooking skills.” – Vicki Shanta Retelny
Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
Vicki Shanta Retelny is The Lifestyle Nutritionist. She is a Chicago-area nutrition professional, media and culinary consultant, and a mom of 2 school-aged children.
By 2020, the World Health Organization estimates that two-thirds of all diseases will be the result of lifestyle choices, such as overeating, inactivity, and smoking. Nutrition is one of Healthy People 2020’s main Health Leading Indicators, which means what people eat is a public health priority and dietitians need to be at the forefront.
Vicki’s work with individuals, families, and corporations focuses on cooking simple meals together and creating a community in the kitchen.
Tune in to the show to find out:
- What recipes Vicki and Melissa made together
- What Vicki’s Total Body Diet entails
- What Vicki’s food philosophy is
- Specific ways to “evolve” your eating
Here are the resources we mentioned on the show:
- Vicki’s Total Body Diet for Dummies book
- Vicki’s website and blog
- Vicki on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Melissa’s Food Waste Challenge blog post
- Second City Workshop handout
- The (Re) Purpose of Food with Judy Barbe – Sound Bites Podcast episode 59
- W.I.S.E. Choices with Dr. James Hill – Sound Bites Podcast episode 79
- Melissa’s Do M.O.R.E. with Dinner blog posts and podcast episodes
- “What to EAT” notepad that Melissa uses every week for meal planning
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of the Total Body Diet book for review
Sound Bites is collaborating with Today’s Dietitian! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
The Today’s Dietitian 2018 Spring Symposium is in Austin, TX on May 20-23. Registration is now open. I’d love to see you there!
Also: check out Today’s Dietitian’s March Continuing Education Special!
Today’s Dietitian is offering a 30% discount on courses in their Learning Library about Food & Nutrition Policy and Sustainability.
Choose any one of the courses below and apply the Coupon Code MARCH30 at checkout. This offer is good for the entire month of March, ending at 11:59 PM on Saturday, March 31st.
Produced by Team Podcast
Music by Dave Birk
Welcome to my podcast where we delve into the science, psychology and strategies behind good food and nutrition.
Listen to the trailer
Sign up for my monthly newsletter and episode eblasts so you never miss an update!