“I’ve been able to transform my life in a short amount of time with this health app. It’s like having a coach right beside me, guiding me all the way. I have grandchildren to live for, I run an architectural firm and I don’t have time for health issues to slow me down. I got my life back and I’m on my way to good health for the rest of my life.“ – Candy Barnes
Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
Candy Barnes owns an architectural design company in Virginia Beach, Virginia. To her surprise, she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a little over a year ago. Her hemoglobin A1c at diagnosis was over 11% (which means her average blood sugar was above 300 mg/dL) and was immediately put on insulin. Candy was very motivated to take care of herself and was able to do so with the help of a digital health tool called BlueStar. Her background in home economics and her desire to enjoy her grandchildren growing up were also key to her success. Today her A1c is down below 6% (which means her average blood sugar is below 126 mg/dL; 5.6 and below is considered “normal” blood sugar). She no longer takes insulin. She’s on a small dose of metformin and has lost about 50 lbs.
Hope Warshaw is a dietitian and certified diabetes educator. She’s been in the field of nutrition and diabetes as a consultant, counselor and writer for nearly 40 years. Hope is the author of several books published by American Diabetes Association. Eat Out, Eat Well and Diabetes Meal Planning Made Easy, are her two most current books. Hope is a consultant to WellDoc, the developer of BlueStar.
Tune in to the show to find out:
- What symptoms Candy had
- How home economics classes helped Candy create her own 5-day menu
- How Candy was able to lose 50 pounds
- What the BlueStar app entails
- The best thing about digital health tools like BlueStar
- How healthcare providers are using digital health tools to monitor and manage diabetes
Here are the resources we mentioned on the show:
- Diabetes Risk Test
- Candy’s story video
- Information about the BlueStar app
- Article: Diabetes Care Standards Encourage Optimization of Self-care with Digital Therapeutics
- Hope Warshaw’s website, blog, books and social media info
- Melissa’s Do M.O.R.E. with Dinner blog posts and podcast episodes
- “What to EAT” notepad that Melissa uses every week for meal planning
Sound Bites is collaborating with Today’s Dietitian! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
The Today’s Dietitian 2018 Spring Symposium is in Austin, TX on May 20-23. Registration is now open. I’d love to see you there!
Also: check out Today’s Dietitian’s March Continuing Education Special!
Today’s Dietitian is offering a 30% discount on courses in their Learning Library about Food & Nutrition Policy and Sustainability.
Choose any one of the courses below and apply the Coupon Code MARCH30 at checkout. This offer is good for the entire month of March, ending at 11:59 PM on Saturday, March 31st.
Produced by Team Podcast
Music by Dave Birk