Podcast Episode 116: DNA & Your Weight – Courtney McCormick
Mar 20, 2019
Everyone is different, therefore different approaches to weight management, or an overall healthy lifestyle, are to be expected.”
Nutrigenomics & The Nutrisystem DNA Body Blueprint
Nutrigenomics is a science studying the relationships between the human genome, nutrition and health – or how genes and diet interact to influence the way nutrients cause an individual’s body to function. According to research, the human body contains about 20,000 – 25,000 genes. Genes are regions of DNA that act as instructions for telling our bodies how to function. Our genetic makeup influences how each individual uniquely responds to nutrients, exercise and weight loss.
The Nutrisystem DNA Body Blueprint is a simple, effective and secure at-home DNA test. This genetic-based product uses a proprietary algorithm that provides an integrated personal action plan for your body focused on eating behaviors, nutrition and metabolism. The DNA test is supported by science and comprehensively developed to help weight loss and weight management.
It is important to understand what health and weight loss plans work best for you. Genetic testing can be used to recommend different strategies that may help you make more informed choices and achieve outcomes that contribute to overall health.
Discover what tools in the “weight management toolbox” will keep you motivated to adopt healthier behaviors and set one or two manageable goals to work towards. Those small steps will add up over time.”
Guest Bio: Courtney McCormick, MPH, RDN, LDN
Courtney McCormick is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist with a master’s degree in public health. Currently, she serves as the Manager of Clinical Research and Nutrition at Nutrisystem. In this role, she helps support the nutritional strategy and clinical research for both the Nutrisystem and South Beach Diet brands.
Courtney has focused most of her career in dietetics working in the area of weight management. Early in her career, she coordinated and managed programs that served to prevent childhood obesity. Now, at Nutrisystem, she works within Product Development and Research to develop programs and products that help support adults in managing a healthy weight.
Enter to WIN a FREE
DNA Body Blueprint test!
Nutrisystem is giving away TWO free DNA Body Blueprint tests! You can ENTER TO WIN by sharing this podcast episode on Twitter and/or Instagram, writing a comment on the shownotes, or submitting a review of the show on iTunes by March 31, 2019. Each action you take counts as a separate entry. Tag me @MelissaJoyRD and use the hashtag #UnderstandingNutrigenomics when you post on social media. Winners will be randomly selected (U.S. residents only please).
Sound Bites is partnering with the American Association of Diabetes Educators! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
- New insulin affordability resource and other access/affordability resources are available at DiabetesEducator.org/affordability
- Diabetes Alert Day is Tuesday, March 26. You can encourage individuals to understand their risk at DoIHavePrediabetes.org. Educators can find out more about becoming a National Diabetes Prevention Program provider at DiabetesEducator.org/Prevention.
- A new scoping review and gaps analysis of Diabetes Online Communities was just released in the Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology that supports its benefits as a tool for people with diabetes. For more information visit DiabetesEducator.org/PeerSupport.
Save the Date!
Sound Bites is collaborating with Today’s Dietitian! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog, and newsletter!
Save the Date! Today’s Dietitian Spring Symposium 2019 is in Scottsdale, Arizona May 19-22!
Music by Dave Birk
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Google Play, Spotify or RSS.
- Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
- Leave me a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!