Podcast Episode 124: Probiotics, Gut Health & Infants – Dr. Anthony Thomas
Jul 22, 2019
Supporting Infant Health and Development
Tune in as we discuss the role of human milk and the key microbial colonizer of the infant gut in shaping the gut microbiota in support of growth, development, and protection of the infant during this critical period that lays the foundation for health throughout life.
The most appropriate probiotic organism to support infant health and development is Bifidobacterium longum subspecies infantis (B. infantis) and supplementation using a clinically validated strain of B. infantis offers a safeguard to ensure your baby is exposed to this key colonizer of the infant gut since modern medical practices and increased use of infant formula has led to a generational decline of this organism within the infant gut microbiota.
There’s likely more misinformation than accurate information about probiotics online. Sometimes probiotics are confused and conflated with live active cultures in various fermented foods and our understanding of gut microbiota.”
Anthony Thomas, PhD
Dr. Anthony Thomas received his Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition, Food Science, and Dietetics from California State University Northridge and his Doctorate in Nutritional Biology from the University of California at Davis. He is the Director of Scientific Affairs for an international dietary supplement company, Jarrow Formulas.
The vast majority of products currently in the marketplace labeled as containing probiotics actually don’t meet the requisite criteria to be considered probiotics as we understand them from a scientific standpoint.”
B. Infantis, pre- and pro-biotic booklet from Anthony P. Thomas, PhD
Anthony on Liz’s Healthy Table Podcast – Probiotic Supplements, Part 1 & Part 2 – Episodes 48 and 49
Get Melissa’s Sound Science Toolkit here!
Partnership with AADE
Sound Bites is partnering with the American Association of Diabetes Educators! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
- AADE19 is August 9-12 in Houston, Texas – register here!
- Diabetes in Pediatric Populations: AADE has developed practice guidance and resources for diabetes educators at DiabetesEducator.org/pediatrics. Resources for families with children who have diabetes can be found at DiabetesEducator.org/ChildrenWithDiabetes.
- AADE partnered with the National Center for Farmworker Health to create tips for Hispanic families on how to shop for healthy foods. This resource is available in English or Spanish at DiabetesEducator.org/prediabetes
- AADE’s blood glucose monitoring handouts are now available in Spanish! To download, visit DiabetesEducator.org/BloodGlucoseMonitoring. For additional educator guidance on glucose monitoring, visit DiabetesEducator.org/SMBG.
Music by Dave Birk
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Google Play, Spotify or RSS.
- Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
- Leave me a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!