Podcast Episode 128: The Science of Strength – Dr. Mike Roussell
Sep 18, 2019
This episode offers the opportunity to earn one CEU credit! Simply enjoy the podcast, complete the quiz and reflection, and download your CEU certificate. Get started here!
This episode is a collaboration with Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner, on behalf of the Beef Checkoff, as part of my role as a compensated member of the Beef Expert Bureau, a program of the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, a contractor to the Beef Checkoff. As always, opinions are my own. Mike Roussell wrote “Strength: The Field Manual “ in conjunction with the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, a contractor to the Beef Checkoff.
This is a 2-part series on Strength – the principles of strength, fueling strength, and strength in action – ultimately: the strength to be your best self.
I interviewed 3 guests:
- Mike Roussell, a research scientist, protein expert and author of Strength: The Field Manual
- Amee Livingston, an Olympic weight lifter, food blogger and breast cancer survivor
- Lance Pekus, the Cowboy Ninja – a regular competitor on American Ninja Warrior and a cattle rancher with a degree in natural resources/environmental science.
In these two episodes, we discuss what strength means to each guest. We talk about physical strength but also mental and emotional strength. We discuss the “Four Cornerstones” of eating to support strength, some practical tips for tweaking your meals and snacks as well as simple cooking ideas and meal prepping advice – and we also talk about life on a cattle ranch and how both the land and the animals are cared for.
Strength: The Field Manual – Nutrition that gives you strength to be your best self
Your body and health are the result of your long-term eating habits, not what you did the first week of January or the 4 weeks leading up to your vacation.”
Dr. Mike’s book is divided into three parts.
Part 1: Principles of strength
- Understanding Strength
- Nutrients Central to the Pursuit of Strength
Part 2: Fueling strength
- The Four Cornerstones of Eating to Support Strength
Part 3: Strength in action
- Meal Prep Strategies
- 2-Day Meal Plan
- Lifestyle Habits That Build Strength
- Embodying Strength for Life
Anchor your plate with protein, pair your protein with plants, and focus on fiber-rich carbs”
Mike Roussell, PhD
Dr. Mike Roussell is a nutrition consultant, author of several nutrition books with his latest being Strength: The Field Manual. He holds a degree in biochemistry from Hobart College and a doctorate in nutrition from Pennsylvania State University.
Dr. Mike’s broad range of experience from consulting with pharmaceutical and food companies, medical schools, top rated fitness facilities, professional athletes, and individual clients, gives him the unique ability to translate scientific findings into relevant, understandable, and actionable strategies that get results. As a scientist, his research has been published multiple times in the premiere clinical nutrition journal in the world, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
He also serves on the Advisory Board for Men’s Health and SHAPE magazines as well as LIVESTRONG.com and has been named one of the Top 100 Most Influential People in Health & Fitness.
Strength: The Field Manual – online book and order form for FREE hardcopy
The BOLD Study – Beef in an Optimal Lean Diet study: effects on lipids, lipoproteins, and apolipoproteins – published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Related Episodes and Blog Posts:
Strength in Action: Food & Fitness – Sound Bites Podcast episode #129 with Amee Livingston and Lance Pekus
Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle: Connecting the Dots Between Healthy People and a Healthy Planet – blog post coauthored by Dr. Keith Ayoob and Melissa Joy Dobbins
Partnership with AADE
Sound Bites is partnering with the American Association of Diabetes Educators! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
- AADE20 call for abstracts. Submit your abstracts for the AADE 2020 conference to be held from Friday, August 14 to Monday, August 17 in Atlanta. Submissions can be submitted here. The deadline for education and research sessions is October 21, 2019. The deadline for posts is June 30, 2020.
- New podcast from AADE. AADE is proud to bring you a new podcast for your personal and professional growth. The Huddle: Conversations with the Diabetes Care Team features perspectives, issues and updates to inform your practice and elevate your role. Each episode dives into a variety of topics that directly impact your work in diabetes, prediabetes and cardiometabolic care; from advocacy to technology to new ways to support your clients. Available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher. Learn more here.
- New Handouts for your clients! AADE has developed several handouts to help you address issues that can arise in those with diabetes and how to manage them. Click the links below to access each handout.
Sick Day management for Adults
Sick Day Management for Children
Music by Dave Birk
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Google Play, Spotify or RSS.
- Leave me a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
Welcome to my podcast where we delve into the science, psychology and strategies behind good food and nutrition.
Listen to the trailer
Sign up for my monthly newsletter and episode eblasts so you never miss an update!