Podcast Episode 162: Digestive Health: Probiotics, Prebiotics & Fermentation – Dr. Elieke Kearns
Oct 14, 2020
This episode is sponsored by PepsiCo and we thank them for their sponsorship and support of the podcast.
This episode offers the opportunity to earn one CEU credit! Simply enjoy the podcast, complete the quiz and reflection, and download your CEU certificate. Get started here!
A Gut Check on Digestive Health
With two-thirds of U.S. adults experiencing digestive issues, digestive health has been a priority trend for multiple years and is anticipated to keep evolving as scientific research expands and further uncovers solutions to help address consumer concerns. There are many factors that can affect our digestive health including family and genetic history, stress, and what we eat.
1. Source: Mintel Report Digestive Health –US 2015. Base: 2,000 internet users aged 18+.
2. National Institutes of Health, Dept of Health & Human Services. Keeping Your Gut in Check; Healthy options to stay on Tract. newsinhealth.nih.gov/issue/May2017
All foods that are fermented require live-and-active cultures to go through that metabolic change, however not all fermented foods contain probiotics.”
Tune into this episode to learn about:
- The scientific definition of probiotics
- Probiotics in foods and beverages vs. supplements
- What is required/not required on food labels
- How do probiotics and live-and-active cultures differ/compare
- Probiotic strains and CFUs
- What is a fermented food/beverage and what are the potential benefits
- What are prebiotics and what to look for on food labels
- Can probiotics and prebiotics help with and/or cause gas and bloating
- Specific products to look for in the grocery store
With two-thirds of U.S. adults experiencing digestive issues, digestive health has been a high priority trend for multiple years and is anticipated to keep evolving as scientific research expands and further uncovers solutions to help address consumer concerns.”
Elieke Kearns, PhD, RD
Dr. Elieke Kearns is a Principal Nutrition Scientist at PepsiCo where she provides nutrition support for KeVita and PepsiCo’s innovation incubator which is focused on developing and accelerating growth of smaller, emerging brands.
Elieke is on a mission to make food less confusing through her nutrition research expertise, Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) background, and deep appreciation for agriculture and food production. She loves to geek out with her fellow scientists about the complex data, regulations, and research and then share that information in simple sound bites with colleagues, friends, family, neighbors, and health care professionals to enable the innovation of new foods and drinks that are grounded in science as well as empower everyone to make the right food choice for themselves and their patients or clients.
Previously, Elieke worked at RXBAR as the Manager of Scientific Affairs, and at the National Dairy Council as a Director of Nutrition Research. Elieke received her doctoral degree from the University of California, Davis where she completed her Ph.D. in Nutritional Biology with an emphasis in both Immunology as well as Biotechnology. She has a bachelor’s degree in Clinical Nutrition from UC Davis and is a Registered Dietitian.
PepsiCo expertly formulates and tests their products regularly to ensure they have the right amount of the right type (strain) of probiotic.”
- KeVita whiteboard videos
- New probiotic handout
- On-Demand Webinar for 1 Free CEU: Gut Check: The Dietitian Download on Prebiotics and Probiotics
Functional Foods, Beverages and Supplements: Trends & Insights – Sound Bites Podcast Episode #159 with Dr. Shelley Balanko
LISTEN, LEARN AND EARN
Listen to select Sound Bites Podcasts and earn free CEU credits approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) for registered dietitian nutritionists and dietetic technicians, registered. Get started!
Sound Bites is partnering with the Association of Diabetes Care and Education Specialists (formerly the American Association of Diabetes Educators)! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
Sound Bites is partnering with the International Food Information Council! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
Music by Dave Birk
Produced by JAG in Detroit Podcasts
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Google Play, Spotify or RSS.
- Leave me a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
Welcome to my podcast where we delve into the science, psychology and strategies behind good food and nutrition.
Listen to the trailer
Sign up for my monthly newsletter and episode eblasts so you never miss an update!