“A great diet is one that balances what we know we need with what we don’t want to live without. I’d never tell some they should never eat this food or that one. It’s about how much and how often. Getting healthier has to be enjoyable.” – Keith Ayoob
Disclosure: This episode is sponsored by the Calorie Control Council, an international association representing more than two dozen different alternative sweeteners, fibers, and other low-calorie ingredients.
Tune in as I talk with my friend and fellow dietitian Dr. Keith Ayoob about the sweetener stevia, umami – the fifth basic taste – and Keith’s fun workout session with Lance Pekus the Cowboy Ninja.
Keith Ayoob EdD, RDN, FADN, is a registered dietitian and an Associate Professor Emeritus of Pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in NY, where he directed a nutrition clinic for over 33 years, working with families and children. He specializes in the areas of obesity, eating behavior, and family dynamics.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How nutrition impacts strength
- The benefits of stevia
- Why stevia is different from other sweeteners
- The safety of stevia, and all approved sweeteners
- What umami is
- The difference between and connection between umami and monosodium glutamate
- Stevia’s role in helping manage diabetes, blood pressure, weight and appetite
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Keith: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn
- Calorie Control Council: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
- Keith’s online article: The State of the Science on Stevia – understanding its role in the fight against obesity and diabetes
- Keith’s article in the Journal of Nutrition (abstract only): Stevia Leaf to Stevia Sweetener: Exploring Its Science, Benefits, and Future Potential. – PubMed – NCBI
- Sound Bites Podcast Episode 19: Food Colors & Hyperactivity with Keith Ayoob
- Sound Bites Podcast Episode 96: A Generational Approach to Diabetes (& Low-Calorie Sweeteners) with Toby Smithson
- The World Umami Forum
- The connection between beef’s protein and strength
- More about Lance Pekus, the Cowboy Ninja
Sound Bites is collaborating with Today’s Dietitian! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog, and newsletter!
Save the Date! Today’s Dietitian Spring Symposium 2019 is in Scottsdale, Arizona May 19-22!
Music by Dave Birk
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Google Play, Spotify or RSS.
- Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
- Leave me a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!