Podcast Episode 099: The Supermarket ‘Shopportunity’ for Dietitians and Consumers – Shari Steinbach
Sep 19, 2018
“I’ve spent my career helping people build a healthier shopping cart so they could eat meals at home that are easy, affordable and more nutritious – in that order! Meal planning and cooking do not have to be difficult if you know what to purchase at the supermarket. With over 40,000+ food products in most stores, most shoppers just need assistance navigating the choices.” – Shari Steinbach
September is National Family Meals Month, so it’s a perfect time to remind everyone to commit to sitting down with family (or friends) one more time each week, and that the supermarket can help you meet that goal. On this episode, I sit down with a fellow dietitian to discuss the many opportunities in the supermarket for both consumers and dietitians. From food labels to food waste, we’re sharing tips and resources to help consumers make more out of each trip to the grocery store. We also discuss the many opportunities for dietitians to engage in the supermarket environment to enhance their careers while helping people buy, cook and eat more healthfully.
Disclosure: Shari and Melissa are both members of the Beef Expert Bureau for which they each receive an annual honorarium.
Shari Steinbach, MS, RDN, one of the first dietitians to work in the supermarket industry, spent over 26 years working with two major retailers based out of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Shari now has her own business, Shari Steinbach and Associates, LLC, which is a nutrition and culinary communications consulting firm connecting food companies, health professionals, and consumers in the retail setting.
On behalf of the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, Shari created a shopper guide for consumers and dietitians called “Shopper Guidance in the Beef Case – From Confusion to Confidence.” She is also working on a “Healthy For Good™” Retail Activation program for the American Heart Association.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why Shari found real passion in being a supermarket dietitian.
- How consumer information has changed over the years.
- Why the “rule” about “shopping the perimeter” is not helpful.
- What changes you can make for health and convenience.
- How supermarket dietitians help both the supermarket and the consumer.
- Why eating healthy doesn’t have to cost more.
- How Shari has helped customers reduce food waste.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Shari: Website | Twitter | Instagram
- Retail Dietitians Business Alliance
- Family Meals Month info and resources
- Melissa’s Do M.O.R.E. with Dinner Resource Kit
- Beefitswhatsfordinner.com and the Cuts of Beef section
- Shopper Guidance in the Beef Case – From Confusion to Confidence
- Melissa’s blog on AHA Heart Check Recipes and Food Photography Tips
- W.I.S.E. Choices: Weight Improvement, Satisfaction & Energy – Podcast Episode 079 with Dr. James O. Hill
- Meat & Poultry Product Center – A guide to prepared meat products that are classified as low/reduced sodium, low/reduced fat, American Heart Association Certified, natural and/or organic
Sound Bites is collaborating with Today’s Dietitian! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
Save the Date! Today’s Dietitian Spring Symposium 2019 is in Scottsdale, Arizona May 19-22!
Today’s Dietitian is hosting a complimentary webinar: Food Evolution – A Discussion for Registered Dietitians on September 27th at 2 pm ET with the writer and producer of the feature film Food Evolution and registered dietitian Chris Vogliano. Register here.
Music by Dave Birk
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Google Play, Spotify or RSS.
- Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
- Leave me a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
WELCOME TO MY BLOG
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m the Guilt-Free RD® – “Because food shouldn’t make you feel bad!™”;. So, on my Food for Thought blog I’m exploring the secret ingredients needed to enjoy your food with health in mind. I’m also a “Dietitian Enthusiast” so I’m showcasing interviews with dietitians. My “How To” Series shares practical advice to help boost communication skills and gain more visibility, influence and success.
I hope you enjoy the show!
Melissa’s Media Reel
Search This Website
Copy and paste the following code in the sidebar area of your site:
Have questions about food?
Ask The Experts!