Podcast Episode 090: The Hamilton Cookbook – Laura Kumin
May 8, 2018
“Anyone and everyone can cook! Learning to cook is often trial and error – even the best cooks make mistakes. There is no right or wrong way to make most dishes, and taste is personal. Keeping it fun, setting your expectations at a reasonable level, and enjoying food with others are what cooking is all about.” – Laura Kumin
If you love food, cooking, and a little bit of history or a little bit of Broadway, I’d like to introduce you to today’s guest, Hamilton Cookbook author and food blogger Laura Kumin.
Laura is the author of The Hamilton Cookbook, a blogger at , a teacher, and a food coach who helps people get comfortable in the kitchen and have fun cooking. Laura’s book takes readers into Hamilton’s home and to his table, with historical information, recipes, and tips on how you can prepare food and serve the food that our founding fathers enjoyed in their day.
Laura talks us through all the wonderful lessons there are to be learned from how people used to cook centuries ago. She has adapted these old recipes for our modern diets and enlightens as to how our diets and cooking habits have changed since the days of our founding fathers. If you are a Hamilton fan, history buff, or a foodie, then this episode is especially for you.
It turns out that the library of congress is an amazing treasure trove. The librarians turned me onto digitized copies of 18th century cookbooks.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How Laura was inspired by Hamilton as a historical figure.
- Why you shouldn’t be afraid to fail during culinary exploration.
- How mealtimes have evolved throughout history.
- The way Laura invokes history throughout her work.
- How food blogging manifested even during the revolution.
- Why Laura feels it’s necessary to blog about even the simple things like boiling water.
- Our look at a few recipes featured in The Hamilton Cookbook.
- The importance of checking labels and educating yourself on scary-sounding ingredients.
- Laura’s tip to Do MORE With Dinner that she practices at home.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- The Hamilton Cookbook by Laura Kumin
- Laura’s website/blog:
- Laura on
- – Sound Bites Podcast Episode 017
- The Library of Congress
Sound Bites is collaborating with Today’s Dietitian! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
The Today’s Dietitian 2018 Spring Symposium is in Austin, TX on May 20-23. Register now! I’d love to see you there!
Music by Dave Birk
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Google Play, Spotify or RSS.
- Leave me a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
WELCOME TO MY BLOG
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m the Guilt-Free RD® – “Because food shouldn’t make you feel bad!™”. So, on my Food for Thought blog I’m exploring the secret ingredients needed to enjoy your food with health in mind. I’m also a “Dietitian Enthusiast” so I’m showcasing interviews with dietitians. My “How To” Series shares practical advice to help boost communication skills and gain more visibility, influence and success.
I hope you enjoy the show!
Sign up for my monthly newsletter and episode eblasts so you never miss an update!
Melissa’s Media Reel
Search This Website
Copy and paste the following code in the sidebar area of your site:
Have questions about food?
Ask The Experts!