Podcast Episode 050: Family Mealtime Matters – Jill Castle
Oct 20, 2016
“Raising healthy kids is one of the hardest jobs of parenthood – from picky eating, childhood obesity, food allergies, sports nutrition, and eating disorders to the endless doubts about what to feed your children.” – Jill Castle
Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
[easy-tweet tweet=”Are you making “mealtime mistakes”? Get expert advice on feeding kids from @pediRD #podcast” user=”MelissaJoyRD ” template=”light”]
Jill Castle is a registered dietitian and America’s Childhood Nutrition Expert. She is the author of Eat Like a Champion: Performance Nutrition for Your Young Athlete, co-author of Fearless Feeding: How to Raise Healthy Eaters from High Chair to High School, founder of the blog Just the Right Byte, and creator of The Kids Healthy Weight Project, an online nutrition and feeding course for parents.
Mealtime is not about what your kids eat; it’s about being together and HOW you feed them—this has an equal, if not stronger effect on overall eating. Dinner together in a positive setting and atmosphere not only helps kids and teens eat healthier, it may curtail negative behaviors like experimenting with drugs and alcohol and other risk-taking behavior. Communication and connection are the keys!
Here are the resources we mentioned on the show:
- Jill Castle’s website, blog and books
- Sign up for Jill’s newsletter, the Kids Healthy Weight Project, the Happy Family Meal Challenge, and get the Mealtime Mistakes Manual
- Jill on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube
- Jill’s NEW podcast The Nourished Child
- Sound Bites blog interview with Jill
- The Meal Makeover Moms website, podcast and books
- Melissa’s Do M.O.R.E. with Dinner Initiative and blogs/podcasts and Pinterest board
- Ellyn Satter’s “division of responsibility”
- Jill’s blog posts we discussed:
- 7 Tips for Planning Healthy Family Meals
- The Basics & Benefits of Family Meals
- One Food that Can Change Meals for Good
- 6 Ways to Be a Happier Family Cook
- 8 Ways to Improve Manners at Meals
- How to Overcome the Short-Order Cook Syndrome
- I Was a Food Plater
- 13 Signs Your Teen is in a Growth Spurt
- 7 Ways to Support Your Teen’s Growth Spurt
Produced by Team Podcast
Music by Dave Birk
WELCOME TO MY BLOG
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m the Guilt-Free RD® – “Because food shouldn’t make you feel bad!™”. So, on my Food for Thought blog I’m exploring the secret ingredients needed to enjoy your food with health in mind. I’m also a “Dietitian Enthusiast” so I’m showcasing interviews with dietitians. My “How To” Series shares practical advice to help boost communication skills and gain more visibility, influence and success.
I hope you enjoy the show!
Sign up for my monthly newsletter and episode eblasts so you never miss an update!
Melissa’s Media Reel
Search This Website
Copy and paste the following code in the sidebar area of your site:
Have questions about food?
Ask The Experts!