“The next 35 years are not only the most important 35 years there have ever been in the history of agriculture, they are the most important 35 years there will ever be in the history of agriculture.” – Jack A. Bobo
Check out the handy step by step guide on listening and subscribing.
[easy-tweet tweet=”What is “sustainable ag”? The truth may surprise you! ” user=”MelissaJoyRD” hashtags=”podcast”]
“Sustainable agriculture is a journey, not a destination. What is sustainable on one farm, may not be sustainable for a nation. What is sustainable for a nation, may not be sustainable for the world. A better question to ask would be: Is agriculture more sustainable today than it was yesterday? The answer is certainly yes and we owe that to both the organic and the conventional farmer.” – Jack A. Bobo
Jack Bobo is Chief Communications Officer for Intrexon Corporation. Prior to joining Intrexon last year, Jack spent 13 years at the U.S. Department of State working on global food policy. His education includes degrees in biology, chemistry, psychology, environmental science and law.
Jack is an expert in global food policy and spent the last decade trying to figure out how to sustainably feed the world in 2050. In many ways there is nothing we do that has a bigger, more negative impact on the planet than agriculture, but there is also nothing more critical for our daily survival.
Here are the resources we mentioned on the show:
- Intrexon website
- Intrexon on Twitter
- Jack A. Bobo on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Pink Slime versus Garbage Chic
- Can Agriculture Save the Planet Before It Destroys It?
- Book: Thinking Fast & Slow
- Book: Invisible Influence
- Book: Tomorrow’s Table
Other agriculture and/or biotechnology related podcast episodes from Sound Bites:
- Science Babe Speaks – Yvette d’Entremont
- A Historian’s Take on Food and Food Politics – Rachel Lauden
- Food, Farming, Flavor & Fun – Amy Myrdal Miller
- A Fair & Balanced Take on GMOs – Greg Jaffe
- Both Sides of the Plate – Kirsten & Blake Angell
- The Life of a Farmer AND a Dietitian – Jennie Schmidt
- Risk Bites – Andrew Maynard
- The Truth About Dairy – Carla Wardin
- Arsenic & Rice – Dr. Claire Chehrazi