Podcast Episode 130: Food Bullying – Michele Payn
Oct 9, 2019
Food is a basic necessity, and should never be an opportunity for shaming and manipulation.”
Food Bullying – How to Avoid Buying B.S.
Food has become a battleground where marketing claims and misinformation are used to bully and shame people about their food choices. What if you could stop stressing about what other people think and make eating decisions based on your own needs and preferences? This startling look at the misrepresentation of food sheds light on fictitious nutrition and environmental claims to help you recognize bullies and defend your food choices.
Armed with science, compelling stories, and a lifetime on the farm, Michele Payn challenges the way you think about food and gives you permission to buy food based on your own social, ethical, environmental and health standards rather than on brand marketing, peer pressure, or social media influence. Food Bullying provides a six-step action plan to overcome bullying around the plate, simplify safe food choices, and even save time at the grocery store.
Exposing the food bullies and their manipulation will hopefully inspire you to have greater confidence in your food-related decisions and more civilized conversations about food and farming. Ultimately, that will lead to even greater food appreciation and enjoyment.”
Michele Payn, CSP
As a Certified Speaking Professional, Michele Payn connects the people and the science of food and farming. She brings clarity and common sense to the emotional food conversation. Michele is one of North America’s leading voices in connecting farm and food, and is the author of three books: Food Bullying, a #1 best seller releasing November 5; Food Truths from Farm to Table, an IPPY bronze medal winner; and No More Food Fights! Michele grows conversations around the food plate at www.causematters.com, and founded AgChat and FoodChat, virtual communities connecting more than 20,000 farmers, dietitians, chefs, foodies, agribusinesses and ranchers from 20 countries.
Related Episodes and Blog Posts:
Food Truths from Farm to Table – Sound Bites Podcast episode #61 with Michele Payn
Critical Thinking & Behavior Change – Sound Bites Podcast episode #108 with Dr. Jason Riis
Partnership with AADE
Sound Bites is partnering with the American Association of Diabetes Educators! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
- AADE20 call for abstracts. Submit your abstracts for the AADE 2020 conference to be held from Friday, August 14 to Monday, August 17 in Atlanta. Submissions can be submitted here. The deadline for education and research sessions is October 21, 2019. The deadline for posts is June 30, 2020.
- New podcast from AADE. AADE is proud to bring you a new podcast for your personal and professional growth. The Huddle: Conversations with the Diabetes Care Team features perspectives, issues and updates to inform your practice and elevate your role. Each episode dives into a variety of topics that directly impact your work in diabetes, prediabetes and cardiometabolic care; from advocacy to technology to new ways to support your clients. Available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher. Learn more here.
- New Handouts for your clients! AADE has developed several handouts to help you address issues that can arise in those with diabetes and how to manage them. Click the links below to access each handout.
Sick Day management for Adults
Sick Day Management for Children
Music by Dave Birk
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Google Play, Spotify or RSS.
- Check out my handy step-by-step guide to listening and subscribing!
- Leave me a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
Welcome to my podcast where we delve into the science, psychology and strategies behind good food and nutrition.
Listen to the trailer
How To Subscribe Or Review My Podcast
Click for the instructions: