Podcast Episode 098: Digging Into Soil Health, Weed Control & Glyphosate – Jennie Schmidt
Sep 5, 2018
“Farmers have two options for weed control: herbicides or tillage. It’s a trade-off – one is not better than the other. In our region, (the Chesapeake Bay – a very sensitive watershed) tillage can be more damaging than herbicides because of soil erosion. As an herbicide applicator, I have many options for herbicides – some are harsher, more toxic, and more environmentally impactful than others. Glyphosate is one of the ‘softest’ herbicides, softer than the homemade vinegar, soap and salt mixtures people share on social media.” – Jennie Schmidt
Herbicides are a hot topic especially with the recent publicity on residues of Roundup, specifically the ingredient glyphosate, in breakfast cereals. This week’s interview was recorded before this news broke, but my guest does discuss the difficulties with organic weed control which will shed some light on the subject. I also address this topic at the beginning of the show.
My guest this week is Jennie Schmidt, a registered dietitian and farmer who is here to give us a well-educated perspective on modern farming, pesticides and the myths and misinformation on this subject.
Jennie Schmidt MS, RD, is a registered dietitian who left clinical practice 18 years ago to become a full-time farmer. Schmidt Farms Inc. is a 3rd generation family farm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland growing corn, soybeans, wheat, barley, canning tomatoes, fresh market green beans and wine grapes.
If you have questions and want details about sustainable agriculture, crop farming, pesticides and herbicides, soil preservation, and other modern farming issues, this episode is for you! Tune in to hear the in-depth, day-to-day practices of a farmer who also happens to be a dietitian.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Should you avoid feeding your children cereal in light of the EWG Cereal Report?
- Which weed control options are available to modern farmers.
- Why Jennie uses organic pesticides in her conventional farming.
- The pros and cons of organic farming and weed control.
- How Jennie developed her method for safe pest control using her scientific understanding and knowledge as a dietitian.
- Why there is not one specific method of farming that works on every farm.
- How Jennie cares for her soil.
- Surprising examples of organic and synthetic pesticides.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Jennie: Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
- Blog post by Andrew Kniss of @WyoWeeds on Twitter
- Washington Post Journalist Tamar Haspel’s Twitter thread
- The Life of a Farmer and a Dietitian: Interview with Jennie Schmidt – Sound Bites Podcast Episode 15
- The Surprising Truth About Sustainable Agriculture – Jack Bobo – Sound Bites Podcast Episode 43
- Produce & Pesticides in Perspective – Teresa Thorne – Sound Bites Podcast Episode 97
- Safe Fruits & Veggies website and blog
- PESTICIDE RESIDUE CALCULATOR
- The Nourished Child Podcast – Jill Castle
- Melissa’s Sound Science Toolkit
Sound Bites is collaborating with Today’s Dietitian! Stay tuned for updates on the podcast, blog and newsletter!
Save the Date! Today’s Dietitian Spring Symposium 2019 is in Scottsdale, Arizona May 19-22!
Music by Dave Birk
Enjoy The Show?
Welcome to my podcast where we delve into the science, psychology and strategies behind good food and nutrition.
Listen to the trailer
Sign up for my monthly newsletter and episode eblasts so you never miss an update!